For the last decade I have been either pregnant or nursing which doesn't leave a lot of room for girlfriend trips away. Now that Evelyn has turned two, I finally up to leaving them with Andy for a little quality time with my friends. I decided to go to Paonia, CO to do a little mini wine trip. It was the perfect getaway. It is only about an hour from Montrose, CO and the drive there is gorgeous. Kendra and I went ahead first and waited for my sister-in-law, Heather and her girlfriend Jolynn to meet us up there after they got off of work.
We picked a winery map of the area and just started stopping at all the different ones. It felt like we were in the Alps at some of these vineyards.
Here are the vineyards:
- Leroux Creek Winery - The tasting room here is like an underground bunker where it is cool and dark. The owner is from the Alps and was a lot of fun to visit with. They also have a B&B there. I bought the Rose.
|Kendra & I at Leroux|
- Delicious Orchards - This is more of a store with a little cafe. They do have a tasting room and some hard ciders but it is run by whoever is working in the store so they aren't very knowledgable. We grabbed a snack here and moved on.
- Azura Cellars - This place was stunning. We really felt like we were in another place. The tasting room & art gallery is contemporary and very pretty. We enjoyed the Pinot Gris so we got a bottle and sat on the porch. We sipped and enjoyed the amazing view. We were here all afternoon. My other girls joined us here.
|Kendra at Azura|
|The view from the porch at Azura|
|The pinot gris at Azura|
- We then all headed over to Stone Cottage Cellars which is right down the road. The tasting room is so quaint. It is a little stone cottage with a big red door. The owner was the best! She even gave us a tour of the vineyard. I bought the Gewurztraminer.
|The tasting at Stone Cottage.|
|The beautiful red door at Stone Cottage|
|Owner of Stone Cottage & her grapes|
|The amazing view at Stone Cottage and my girls|
We then headed back into town at this point because it was 6:00 and closing time for all the tasting rooms. We stayed at the Living Farm B&B which is right downtown in Paonia. Our rooms were nice and quaint. We doubled up with a queen bed and we had a shared bathroom in the hall. It was $90 per room which only made it $45 per person. Plus, it came with an awesome farm to table breakfast of your choice the next morning. We ate dinner at the Living Farm too. The food was pretty good - a little bland but tasty. I got the risotto cake with roasted vegetable and curry sauce. Kendra got the Grass Fed Burger with Goat Cheese (it was ordered med. rare but we got it med. well). Jolynn got the Lamb Enchilada which was pretty good. Heather got the Chicken Pot Pie but I didn't try it. We opened up one of our bottles that we got at a vineyard and had a great evening.
The next morning we had a really good breakfast at the Living Farm. I got 2 eggs over easy with has browns & toast & a pancake. Kendra got the Breakfast Skillet. The other girls slept in so I'm not sure what they ordered. Kendra & I walked down to the little coffee shop because I needed a bigger jolt of caffeine! The downtown is really cute in Paonia but there isn't really any shopping there.
We decided to get all packed up and dressed and press on to more vineyards!
- Terror Creek - It's an amazing view from here too.
|Terror Creek View|
|Heather & Jolynn at Terror Creek|
- We headed over to Black Bridge Winery. They have a great general store with lots of yummies there. We had a great time tasting their wines. They have a whole bunch. I got the Un-oaked Chardonnay and the Breaker Row Red. I also bought some food goodies.
|Black Bridge Grapes|
|The Black Bridge|